Slow ftp backup transfer speed

Backup and data protection discussion at its finest.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

arsvendg
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Slow ftp backup transfer speed

Post by arsvendg »

Hi

So I am having my 604T transfer all my pictures to an offsite ftp. I have a couple of issues I would like to try and see if you can help me solve.

The first is that it is transferring very slowly. I have a 60/60 line, and the target has 50 on download, but I still can not get the transfer to go any faster than 1 MB/s. If this we're to run at max I should be seeing speed up to 5 Mb/s. It is transferring, just at a very slow speed.

The other problem is that the backup always tranfers everything, everytime. I have enabled the option to skip if file exists, but it does not skip, it overwrites.

At this speed it takes me a week to transfer all my backup offsite.

To try and explain the setup. On my end I have gigabit network, the 604T and an asus rt-ac66u router. On the recieving end I have a similar asus rt-ac66u router connected to a d-link dns-323.
I have tried to test a little by connecting a usb drive on the recieving end right into the router, and enableing the ftp server in the router. Still I only get 1MB/s speed.

The data I am transferring are all my pictures, roughly 440gb of data, approximately 73 000 photos.
orion

Re: Slow ftp backup transfer speed

Post by orion »

1 MB/s is quite low. However, network bottleneck is normally difficult to find. Did you connect both rt-ac66u by cable? I think you can use a PC / Notebook to check what's the bottleneck.
  • NAS and PC connect to one rt-ac66u by cable. Check the connection speed should be 1 giga bit per second. (ADM -> Settings -> Network -> LAN1) (double click on the newtork interface) Check ftp network throughput.
  • NAS connects to one rt-ac66u by cable. And connect this rt-ac66u to the other rt-ac66u by cable. PC is connected to the second rt-ac66u. Make sure the connection speed is 1 giga bit on nas and PC. Check ftp network throughput.
  • Put d-link dns-323 (not sure about its role) into the network. Check ftp network throughput.
Hope it's helpful.
donniemcm

Post by donniemcm »

I am also experiencing slowness with my 204te.

I have another NAS at home and transfer are lighning speed ...
orion

Post by orion »

donniemcm wrote:I am also experiencing slowness with my 204te.

I have another NAS at home and transfer are lighning speed ...
Do you use cable LAN? And what's your ftp transfer rate?
donniemcm

Post by donniemcm »

Yes my network is cabled.

When I am copying the same file to the other NAS i got transfer > 40MB/s but for my 204te it's between 1 and 8 MB/s ...
orion

Post by orion »

I can easily see the transferring rate to 40MB/s through FileZilla utility. It seems that your network mode is 100Mb/s. You can check if your network is connected in 1000Mb/s mode (ADM web page -> Settings -> Network -> LAN -> Status). Or you may need to send a support request to asustor to help you check it.
aj2

Post by aj2 »

Hello, any news on this issue?
My NAS to NAS file transfer through FTP is also about 35MB/sec.
Both NAS are connected directly on the router. my PC is connected to a switch which is connected to the router.
FTP transfer speeds between NAS and PC easily reach 110MB. So it seems the network is fine. Just NAS to NAS is a problem.
Another Day At The Office

Return to “Backup and Data Protection”