Wi-fi Dongles

Looking for discussion about hardware compatibility? Look no further.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

Phantom136
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Wi-fi Dongles

Post by Phantom136 »

Hi,

Just a quick update on the wi-fi dongles compatible list:

ASUS USB-N13 802.11b/g/n
ASUS WL-167G
EDIMAX nLite EW-7711Usn
DLINK DWA-140
snoopy

Re: Wi-fi Dongles

Post by snoopy »

Asus USB-N10 (Wireless-N150 USB Adapter) tested OK (firmware 1.08.R2K3)
https://www.asus.com/Networking/USBN10/

Realtek RTL8188SU chip
http://wikidevi.com/wiki/ASUS_USB-N10
Asustor AS-608T 2.4.0.RFU6 (Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB x8)
snoopy

Post by snoopy »

Not Detectable (firmware 1.08.R2K3)

Buffalo WLI-UC-GN (Ralink RT3070)
http://wikidevi.com/wiki/Buffalo_WLI-UC-GN

Buffalo WLI-UC-GNM (Ralink RT8070)
http://wikidevi.com/wiki/Buffalo_WLI-UC-GNM
Steve@AST

Post by Steve@AST »

Hi all,

Thank you for your precious information, I will let our website administrator know this,
and update to our website later.

br.

Steve
ASUSTOR AS-602T
MacBook Air
iPhone 4s, New iPad, iPod nano
wde

Post by wde »

A few questions regarding WiFi dongles:

Excuse my ignorance, but what, exactly, are the WiFi dongles used for? I'm assuming it's the lack of an ethernet connection.

Can you have both an ethernet and WiFi connection back to your router and, if so, why would you want to do this?

Lastly, I have an ASUS RT-AC66U router. Are there any plans to support the ASUS USB-AC53 dongles? (which I can currently get on sale).

Thanks,

wde
My NAS: Flashtor 6 FS6706T ADM: 4.2.7.RRD1 Router: Technicolor CGM4331COM (XB7)
ospratur

Post by ospratur »

Hi! I bought this great NAS AS-602T, but when I bought USB Wi-fi dongle ASUS USB N-13 rev.B1, it won't work with NAS. USB dongle working on my notebook and PC, all is correct, but when I connect USB Wi-fi dongle to NAS (all of USB ports), it's not work, LED indicator on it is not lightning, and I can't see it in "External devices manager" of NAS...Can you help me with this? Thanks.
Richdog

Post by Richdog »

Hi ASUSTOR support,

I am about to buy an ASUSTOR AS304T and I am planning to partner it with the following Wireless 802.11ac dongle:

EDIMAX EW-7822UAC http://www.edimax.com/en/produce_detail ... pl2_id=138

This wireless USB dongle is now very popular internationally, and very well reviewed, and I think it is critical that ASUSTOR supports dongles like this to allow fast HD 1080p and higher streaming.

Can you please confirm if it is supported yet, and if not are there plans to please do this in the near future?

Regards,

Rich. :)
wde wrote:A few questions regarding WiFi dongles:

Excuse my ignorance, but what, exactly, are the WiFi dongles used for? I'm assuming it's the lack of an ethernet connection.

Can you have both an ethernet and WiFi connection back to your router and, if so, why would you want to do this?

Lastly, I have an ASUS RT-AC66U router. Are there any plans to support the ASUS USB-AC53 dongles? (which I can currently get on sale).

Thanks,

wde
You are asking why people would want to use Wireless... is that a serious question? :|
wde

Post by wde »

Richdog wrote:You are asking why people would want to use Wireless... is that a serious question? :|
It was a serious question. Other than the lack of a wired ethernet connection, which I realize not everyone has access to (and which I qualified my question with) I'd just like to know if there was any other use for them.

Personally, I wouldn't want our tablets, smartphones and the occasional laptop competing for WiFi usage with a NAS server with large amounts of incoming /outgoing traffic. Nor would I like to stream video via 2 LAN WiFi hops instead of one or stream anything over WAN without a wired connection to the NAS.

I also have an AC capable router and can see how this would be advantageous to those without an ethernet connection, hence my own question regarding support of AC dongles.
My NAS: Flashtor 6 FS6706T ADM: 4.2.7.RRD1 Router: Technicolor CGM4331COM (XB7)
Richdog

Post by Richdog »

Richdog wrote:Hi ASUSTOR support,

I am about to buy an ASUSTOR AS304T and I am planning to partner it with the following Wireless 802.11ac dongle:

EDIMAX EW-7822UAC http://www.edimax.com/en/produce_detail ... pl2_id=138

This wireless USB dongle is now very popular internationally, and very well reviewed, and I think it is critical that ASUSTOR supports dongles like this to allow fast HD 1080p and higher streaming.

Can you please confirm if it is supported yet, and if not are there plans to please do this in the near future?

Regards,

Rich. :)
Any chance of a reply to this, ASUSTOR staff? :)
ho66es

Post by ho66es »

the wireless dongle works like an extra nic, I got mine when I was locking up the wired ports trying to sort out lag creation with an earlier firmware (now sorted). It does not turn the NAS into an access point but would allow it to connect to an existing access point and onward to wired or wireless devices.

My preference is to wire as much of my network as possible and therefore I removed the dongle and no longer use it. I have wireless access points on my lan to which the nas is wired and therefore wireless devices have access to it anyway.

Using only wireless to access the NAS would be a major bottle neck in performance.

just checked, dongle I used was the Edimax EW-7711USN Wireless nLite High Gain USB Adapter
608t

Return to “Hardware Compatibility”