I regret buying Asustor

Interested in our products? Please post any inquiries here.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

ramzez
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

I regret buying Asustor

Post by ramzez »

To be honest i bought Asustor because it was cheaper than Synology. I had Qnap before for a few years. I just want to share my biggest regrets:

1. Mobile apps are outdated and haven't been update for long time for iOS.
2. no decent DLNA client. Twonky is not included. Others like miniDLNA and v2 UpNP are so so.
3. Plex support is so so because overtime you update you need to restart service.
4. When you update you need to restart services
5. VPN configuration is so so and PPTP doesn't perform well.
6. Time machine for Macs get corrupted all the time.
7. Download app for mac hasn't been updated for ages.
8. There is no full backup capability as like one touch backup to external drive to external drive like i mean full backup

Overall everything seems and looks like BETA
AS202TE
peixoto1970

Re: I regret buying Asustor

Post by peixoto1970 »

I am a two months owner of a AS-602T, my impressions until now are:

1. Agree - Mobile app are cheap.
2. V2UPNP works fine to me and my samsung TV.
3. I like Plex but you are right about restart.
4. Agree.
5. Agree - OpenVPN is not working and no support response.
6. My time machine works very fine (at work we use AS-202T for a year)
7. ?
8. Not using yet.

Thanks
Jagstyles

Post by Jagstyles »

1. Agree, I really hope they launch a complete revamp or update of their mobile apps as they are starting to look dated next to the competition.
3. Given I'm a relatively new user, haven't really experienced this issue or problem, not sure i understand exactly the issue here
5. I use Proxy service in Deluge instead of VPN, allows me to better control what traffic uses secure proxy server and which keeps my regular IP active
6. I'm moving away from Macs right now, but I would be frustrated to find out it wasn't working well, so understand your point of view here
8. Can't you just execute a full backup right from ADM? I realize it's not a one-touch solution

All in all, I'm pleased with Asustor but I can't help but notice that they have a lot of work to do on the software side to catch up to Synology.
ramzez wrote: 1. Mobile apps are outdated and haven't been update for long time for iOS.
2. no decent DLNA client. Twonky is not included. Others like miniDLNA and v2 UpNP are so so.
3. Plex support is so so because overtime you update you need to restart service.
4. When you update you need to restart services
5. VPN configuration is so so and PPTP doesn't perform well.
6. Time machine for Macs get corrupted all the time.
7. Download app for mac hasn't been updated for ages.
8. There is no full backup capability as like one touch backup to external drive to external drive like i mean full backup

Overall everything seems and looks like BETA
ramzez

Post by ramzez »

Download app for mac hasn't been updated for ages.
that's an Asustor app which is used for torrents and other downloads
AS202TE
peixoto1970

Post by peixoto1970 »

I've tried to use the IOS AiData app and its impossible in Portuguese. The translation is a complete mistake.
Asus really need help with their system development.

My english is bad, their portuguese is worst.
ramzez

Post by ramzez »

i just want to update this post that i still regret buying Asustor. i just don't have time to get another NAS and move everything over. But since my last post things didn't improve.
AS202TE
sys

Post by sys »

I use Samsung Android phone most of the time and iPhone from time to time. For the mobile apps, I see very frequent update in Android side and for iOS, there are updates for Aimaster, AiData, Aifoto v2, Aimusic these few months as well. I appreciate the app locks and the new looks of the updated mobile apps.

For uPnP, I do not find issues with uPnP apps with Samsung smart TV at all and my Windows 10 desktop PC connection to NAS at home through PPTP is always reliable.

Overall, I am quite pleased with my Asustor AS5002T though. NAS is fast and support service is responsive also.
sys

Post by sys »

BTW, I have Time Machine running all the time and do not notice any issue. My Mac OS is Mountain Lion though.
orion

Post by orion »

sys wrote:BTW, I have Time Machine running all the time and do not notice any issue. My Mac OS is Mountain Lion though.
That's a kind of old article. Most of them are more like personal opinions. It's better to have more detailed information, so we can check if we help each other.
  • As I know, VPN problem was fixed long time ago.
  • I did not use time machine. So I don't know if there are problems or not.
ramzez

Post by ramzez »

It maybe an old article but none of the items has been fixed.
AS202TE

Return to “Presales”