304 vs 604 app Compatability

Interested in our products? Please post any inquiries here.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

Sphynx
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

304 vs 604 app Compatability

Post by Sphynx »

After using both QNAP & Synology NAS''s, i've come the the following conclusion: QNAP has the best hardware but the worst software (i'm not kidding - it's absolutely atrocious to use). Synology has the worst hardware (All plastic - low quality materials, poor specs, incompatible CPU architecture types etc.) but the best software. Based on this, Synology became the winner due to it's vastly superior software. Enter Asustor. It would appear that Asustor seems to be hybrid of both Synology & QNAP.

Like so many others, i'm debating between the 304 or 604. Unfortunately, like both its competitors, Asustor don't say what models are compatible with what apps (I got burnt by Synology because of this). There's nothing worse than buying a $600 NAS only to find it doesn't support the app you want. Worse still is when there's no logical reason for lack of said support. In this case, XBMC. There's very little info on the web about this, hence my reason for this post. Can someone please tell me whether the 604 supports XBMC? I know the 304 does but the impression I get is that the 604 doesn't. And if that's the case, it's a really shame because it would appear to be a arbitrary limitation. Especially when we consider the 2 devices identical except for CPU clock speed and expandable RAM (and an LCD screen).

Thanks.
MrK

Re: 304 vs 604 app Compatability

Post by MrK »

To check if an app is available I go to online app store. Enter the app (xbmc) and let the search run. For XBMC you get five items and three of 'em are XBMC. Now I move the mouse over one of the items and it shows "Model: AS6" for two and "Model:AS2,AS3" for one item. So XBMC is available for all current ASUSTOR models.

The AS2 and AS3 models use 32-bit Atoms and the AS6 models use 64-bit Atom. That's the reason why some apps (like Boxee) are available only for one platform. Sometimes it's hard to compile it for 32-bit but dead easy for 64-bit - or the other way around.
Storage: AS-202T | AS-604T (borrowed)
PC/Laptop: iMac 27" & rMBP 15"
Media Server/Player: Plex on ASUSTOR NAS & Samsung TV
clinton.hall

Post by clinton.hall »

Yep. I run XBMC on the AS-604T
AS-604T
3 x ST4000DM0000 (Seagate 4TB) in Raid5
2 GB RAM expansion
AS-302T

Apps (user)
NZBGet - CouchPotato - SickBeard - Git - Python

Apps (maintainer):
NZBGet - BitTorrent Sync - Mylar - LazyLibrarian - Gamez
-Maintenance of Apps acquired from JohhnyFive since ADM2.0:
SABnzbd - CouchPotato - SickBeard - HeadPhones - Subsonic

About Me: http://fockwulf.wix.com/index
Sphynx

Post by Sphynx »

MrK wrote:To check if an app is available I go to online app store. Enter the app (xbmc) and let the search run. For XBMC you get five items and three of 'em are XBMC. Now I move the mouse over one of the items and it shows "Model: AS6" for two and "Model:AS2,AS3" for one item. So XBMC is available for all current ASUSTOR models.

The AS2 and AS3 models use 32-bit Atoms and the AS6 models use 64-bit Atom. That's the reason why some apps (like Boxee) are available only for one platform. Sometimes it's hard to compile it for 32-bit but dead easy for 64-bit - or the other way around.
Y'know, I looked at that site and TBH don't remember seeing that model spec :roll: . Thanks for pointing that out.

The way I see it, they should really be pushing for 64bit compatibility across the board. Especially in this day and age. I think Microsoft are already looking into 128bit for Win 9/10.

Return to “Presales”