202TE - best NAS for my purposes (price/performance)?

Interested in our products? Please post any inquiries here.
krzysmir
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

202TE - best NAS for my purposes (price/performance)?

Post by krzysmir »

Hi,
I'm at the very beginning of my journey in the NAS world and I want to start it with the best resources available ;)
I'm wondering which NAS to buy, one of the Asustor's or Synology's product. The front-runner is AS202TE (or 202T - not sure if HDMI is needed in my case), so I'm here to ask you for a help in clarification of some question points, I will be very appreciated for any comments from your site. I count on you :)

My goal is to have a network storage that:
  • will share all kind of multimedia via DLNA (movies with my TV (sound should be played via my home cinema soundset, not sure how it should be connected, the threads in Tips&Tricks section don't answer this question), music (e.g. flac, mp3) with HiFi amplifier, photos with TV and tablets/smartphones). I think my laptops can use the storage simply as a network drive, isn't it? My TV plays right now all kind of movies directly from USB drive, so I think DLNA can be used in my case (no transcoding is probably needed, at least for now). It is important to have the subtitles, right now I'm using srt format and it works great (from usb). If comes to the requirements: some of the movies are in HD quality but I want to have the opportunity to play them on one TV at a time. Btw.: my TV is Samsung LE46C650.
  • will have torrent client,
  • regular backups will be made from my laptop to the NAS in the intervals (I want to have a backup of some parts of the data taken from two laptops: e.g. documents, photos), after that it would be brilliant when the copy of the backed up data will be copied to the external hard drive automatically - I think RAID is a little bit overheat in my case, I think that the classical duplication of the data to another drive will be enough in my case. Additional to this: as I had read the usb harddrive can be plugged to the NAS, but it is possible for NAS to wake up this external harddrive? I won't plug and unplug the drive forth and back each day but I won't have the drive working 24h/day (I won't to start the backup procedure during the night when nobody uses NAS for streaming).
  • for sure I won't use any web/mail/print servers. Probably also surveillance and encryption services aren't be used.
  • right now it looks like max. two users will access the NAS, downloading and backup can start in the night, media sharing/streaming can work only during the day. I think it is also important that I don't plan to give the access to hundreds of people ;)
Do you think the AS202TE will be sufficient for my purposes? I want to buy the most adjusted hardware taking both the price and the features into consideration.

Other topic which make my selection even harder is that I would like to place my NAS in a closet - I know that this is not the best possible solution (because of the ventilation and so on), but do you think it is doable without any harm to the equipment? I have not the biggest area which can be used: 30/30/70 (width/height/depth, all in centimeters). I have found some overall information about temperatures and that CPU is not the coolest one (~70C), but no information about overall situation similar to mine is mentioned. Have you maybe any experciences in this area? As i mentioned earlier: I wouldn't like to use it as a web server for 24h/day, it will be used only as a storage for home usage.

My plan is to connect the NAS via the cable to the TP-Link TL-WR1043ND router (it handles gigabit connection), this router is connected via the cable with the modem/router '2in1 combo' device delivered by the internet provider, other equipments are connected with TPLink via WiFi (according to the manufacturer: throughput is 300MBit/s).
Both routers are already in the closet in which I want to place also my NAS (on different shelf). On the paper it looks like a nice and clean solution. I don't have any ethernet sockets in the leaving room so I don't have any other solution in my mind (my fiancee won't be happy when I announce the refurbishment because of the NAS). Of course if the placement in the closet or connection via WiFi won't be enough for media sharing I need to go probably different way: access point (made from my TPLink) near the TV and NAS connected via the cable to it, the access point connected via WiFi to the modem/router in the closet given by internet provider. In this configuration HDMI port can be a very nice bonus - I can decide not to use DLNA for sharing the movies, but as far as I know the delivered modem/router is a piece of scrap when it comes to the WiFi (can't be changed because of the ISP policy) and it will be for sure a bottleneck when it comes to the performance.

Btw: Is the HDMI and XBMC working well right now? I have found some comments about the audio issues, are they already handled?

Many thanks in advance for any comments :)
regards,
Chris
Allen@AST

Re: 202TE - best NAS for my purposes (price/performance)?

Post by Allen@AST »

Hi Chris,

Yes, you can mount the NAS as a network drive on your laptops.

Our UPnP Media Server App should be able to take care of your multimedia needs, playing multimedia via DLNA to your TVs.

http://www.asustor.com/apps/app_detail?id=103

We have our own torrent client as well in Download Center:

http://www.asustor.com/apps/app_detail?id=71

Our Backup Plan utility for Windows can help you make regular scheduled backups from your laptops to the NAS. You can then also schedule regular backups from the NAS to an external USB hard drive. And yes, the NAS can wake up the external drive and execute scheduled backup jobs to it.

As for keeping the NAS in a closet, this should be fine and should not affect the device. Also, XBMC is working fine. I personally use it to play all my videos.

It sounds like the AS-202TE would definitely fit your needs.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions,

Allen
krzysmir

Post by krzysmir »

Hi Allen,
many thanks for the confirmation, especially about the backups to the external drive and about the placing in the closet.

Definitely I will go with AS-202TE as the price is not far from the 202T model, after that I will check both streaming via DLNA with WiFi connection and playing with XBMC via HDMI, after that I will evaluate all pros and cons and will decide if I put my NAS into the closet or near my TV (the noise can be here a factor for sure).

Many thanks, I will come back when any questions occur (for sure they will ;) ).

regards,
Chris
Auberon2k

Post by Auberon2k »

I have my 608T in another room, so I can hook it to the same switch as my ESX server and router (and lack of room near my TV). I had it running for the first few days in my living room as I dumped data via USB from a pile of backup drives to it. My wife didn't even realize it was running the whole time, it was so quiet. I can't speak for the 202 specifically, but if it operates anything like the 608 it should be nice and quiet.

Return to “Presales”