Availability and Backup Questions

Interested in our products? Please post any inquiries here.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

basketballmail2
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Availability and Backup Questions

Post by basketballmail2 »

Hi there,

Well I am in the market for a NAS System and came across asustor. I have been reading your site and forums for the past 2 hours now and I really like what I read and see. I also tried out the online demo and am thrilled so far. And I love the fact, that there are actually tech people from asustor on this message board helping out with issues! That is gold in my book!

But I have a few questions that I couldn't find anywhere and maybe I'm just a noob to the NAS world so forgive me if it seems basic. I do work in IT as a Sys Admin so I have some knowledge ;)

Question 1: Windows Backup

Is this a file level backup or can it make images of an entire system?

Question 2: One Touch Backup (I will be using this feature to backup the NAS to USB 3.0 HDDs)
A) Is there an encryption available for the backed up data?
B) If I want to backup i.e. 4.0TB of Data, will the software be smart enough to be able to split it across multiple smaller external drives? Or will I need one large drive for it?
C) Are these always full backups or can it also only copy data that changed from the last backup?

Question 3: Availability of the AS-604T in Switzerland

My plan was to get an AS-604T for the beginning till I need more than four bays, but for some strange reason, the AS-604T is nowhere to be found here in Switzerland, they are out of stock in every store I checked and nobody can tell me if and when they will be back. So my question is, are you guys releasing a new version of it or is there another reason why it is not available here? I plan on using only 2 bays right now with 2x 4.0TB Drives and will expand later on, so an AS-606T which I can find much easier is a bit overkill for me.

Thanks a lot for any and all help.

Best regards.

Cedric
AS-606T: 3x WD 4.0TB RED RAID 5
orion

Re: Availability and Backup Questions

Post by orion »

There are actually many people from the world, rather than just asustor, to try to help in this forum. ;)

Q1. Windows Backup, I think it only covers file level backup. The tool from asustor do not have this feature, like ghost software.
Q2-A. I cannot find this feature. I'm actually eager for this feature too. And sent a feature request to asustor.
Q2-B. Sounds like archive function. No, I don't find it currently.
Q2-C. Yes, you can setup RSync to do the backup. However it's the full copy at the first time.

Cheers.
basketballmail2

Hi Orion,

Thanks a lot for your reply, and I didn't mean any disrespect :) I am glad for anyones help, I just found it important to state for ASUSTOR that I find it great that they actually brows the message board and answer questions. Not many manufacturers do that these days.

I'm pretty much sold on the ASUSTOR even if it doesn't cover all the features I can dream of as of right now (no NAS can :D) now if only I could find the 4 bay version. But I have a feeling I'll be ending up getting the 6 bay one and just filling it with my old drives that will be come unused once I have the new NAS.
zakspop

Post by zakspop »

http://www.asustor.com/award/news_detail?id=2996

I think something in this answers one of your questions about multiple drives.
Quote: ADM 2.1. This new version of ADM features improvements to File Explorer, the addition of VPN server and client functionality and the brand new MyArchive function that allows users to use multiple hard disks for data backup and sharing.
basketballmail2

zakspop wrote:http://www.asustor.com/award/news_detail?id=2996

I think something in this answers one of your questions about multiple drives.
Quote: ADM 2.1. This new version of ADM features improvements to File Explorer, the addition of VPN server and client functionality and the brand new MyArchive function that allows users to use multiple hard disks for data backup and sharing.
Cool, thanks for the info! And Happy New Year!

Return to “Presales”