3 questions regarding connectivity and backup.

Interested in our products? Please post any inquiries here.
sarahstaar
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

3 questions regarding connectivity and backup.

Post by sarahstaar »

Thinking about purchasing a AS-608T and I have 3 questions regarding connectivity and backup.

1. Can multiple AS-608T units be daisychained together to create more storage? When I run out of storage, which I think I would do pretty quickly, could I buy another AS-608T and connected it up to the first unit, and control everything from one control panel?

2. I’m a little bit paranoid about RAID units at the moment since I recently lost 16 TB of data from another manufacturer’s RAID unit. Is it possible to have two AS-608T units connected, one as my main storage unit, and the other one as a backup. The second unit I would be locate in a different part of my house, how would this be connected up??

3. I need to have two different computers connected to my AS-608T. I do a lot of high definition video editing so I need a fast connection. Would iSCSI be fast enough for this?

Can 2 computers be connected to the iSCSI ports at the same time and how fast would this be compelled to USB 3?

Is it possible to have two computers connected using USB 3?? The two computers are in different rooms so iSCSI would be a better option due to long cable lengths.
Just not sure how fast iSCSI is compared to USB 3.
Allen@AST

Re: 3 questions regarding connectivity and backup.

Post by Allen@AST »

Hi sarahstaar,

1. Unfortunately, our NAS devices cannot be daisychained together. I think maybe what you are thinking of is a separate expansion box for the NAS that you can use expand storage capacity. The expansion box is a feature that we are definitely looking to add to our devices. However, currently, we don't offer support for it.

2. Yes, it is possible to have 2 AS-608Ts with one acting as a backup unit to the other. You would just have to connect them both to the local network in your house. Then you would be able to schedule regular system backups of one to the other.

3. iSCSI is fast enough for you to do HD video editing. For 6 series devices our iSCSI performance numbers are:

READ: 99.24 MB/s
WRITE: 97.88

You can view these numbers under the "performance" tab located here: http://www.asustor.com/product?p_id=2&lan=en

Also, you can't connect your computers to the NAS via USB. It is a network storage device, so your computers will communicate with it over your local network.

For more information about using iSCSI with our NAS devices, please see: http://download.asustor.com/college/en/ ... _iSCSI.pdf

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks,

Allen
sarahstaar

Post by sarahstaar »

I already have 27tb of content to store and i need to add 2tb of content per month. What do i do when i fill up a unit?? If i have 4 or 6 units on the same network can i control them from one control panel ?? Can i have them all active on one computer??
sarahstaar

Post by sarahstaar »

can i have 2 computers connected via iSCSI at the same time to the same unit??

Return to “Presales”