Capacity planning question...

Interested in our products? Please post any inquiries here.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

Auberon2k
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Capacity planning question...

Post by Auberon2k »

Hello,
I just purchased an AS-608T with plans to start with a few drives (3* WD RED 3TB) and add more as finances permit. I have to say so far I'm really impressed with the device and my wife is extremely happy about how quiet the unit is.
Currently to play with it a bit while my WD Reds ship in I have loaded all 8 bays with 500GB drives. I wanted to try out the apps and configuration, generally get a feel for the unit. I have copied some data to the NAS for testing of UPnP and such, it all still exists on my old PC server which I plan to retire later. I mention this in case the answer is reset/wipe and start fresh, no harm done if that's the case.

Currently 8 * 500GB 2.5" drives, RAID 5
Near Plan: 3 * 3TB WD, then plans to pull 2 * 1TB and 1 * 2TB drives from my server as the data is migrated to the NAS

I want to make sure I'm maximizing my storage. Classically RAID 5 would give you (# of drives - 1)*(capacity of smallest drive in array). Is this accurate for the AS-608T? I'd love to just leave those extra 500's I have installed if they will contribute something, but if they are actually going to be a hindrance I'd probably pull them completely.
Eventually I'll fill/replace everything with 3TB Reds, but for the time being I want to get the most bang for my buck.

Thanks,
Auberon2k

Re: Capacity planning question...

Post by Auberon2k »

I think I found my answer digging further into the forums, what I'm asking about is a form of Hybrid RAID I guess, and that is not supported.
Kimbie

Post by Kimbie »

As I understand it your RAID array will be limited to your smallest drive.

So if you have 8 x 500Gb your array will be ~3.5Tb

If you replace your first three disks with 4Tb ones, your array will still be capped at ~3.5Tb until all the disks are 4Tb then some magic will happen and you get the space back
Auberon2k

Post by Auberon2k »

Yup. I broke down and have two volumes, my main RAID5 of 3* 3TB WD RED (5.5TB formatted) and the rest filled with some spare 500GB drives I had lying around (approx 2TB RAID5). The smaller drive is just scratch space that will be destroyed as I replace the 500's with 3TB and expand the main array.

Return to “Presales”