Which NAS to choose

Interested in our products? Please post any inquiries here.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

Watson1
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Which NAS to choose

Post by Watson1 »

Hi there,

I am very interested in your product but can't find one here in Finland, can you please help? You really should have more information in the Where To Buy section on your website...

1. I never have a NAS before, so I guess I will start from a 2-bay NAS. I only have limited knownledge about RAID so can you please advise which RAID I should use?
2. I am considering ASUSTOR AS-602T, Synology 713+ and Thecus N2800 as they all seem to use the same CPU and have similar spec., can you please tell me why I should go for ASUSTOR?

Watson
Allen@AST

Re: Which NAS to choose

Post by Allen@AST »

Hi Watson,

Where to buy?

In Finland, you can get our NAS from the following distributor:
http://www.alsoactebis.com/ec/cms3/fi/5710/start.jsp

Our Where To Buy section will be updated very soon with specific distributors for each region that our product is available in.

RAID

About RAID, in a 2-bay NAS you will be able to choose between using RAID 0 or RAID 1. Basically, you can choose RAID 0 if you are looking to maximize your storage space and aren’t concerned about data protection. On the other hand, you can choose RAID 1 if you value data protection over maximizing the use of your storage space. More details about RAID 0 and RAID 1 can be found below:

RAID 0: Uses a combination of two or more disks to create storage space. The total storage capacity is the capacities of all the disks added together. The advantage of this configuration is that it allows you to use different sized disks together and provides a large amount of storage space. The downside is that it does not offer any sort of data protection.

RAID 1: In RAID 1 your data is written identically on two disks, thereby producing a “mirrored set”. Exactly the same data is stored on the two disks at all times. RAID 1 protects your data from loss should one of your disks fail. RAID 1’s advantage is that it offers protection for your data by providing data redundancy. The downside of this configuration is that when combining two disks of differing sizes, the total storage space will be equal to the size of the smaller disk. Therefore, you will be unable to use a portion of the larger disk.

Total available storage space for RAID 1 = (size of smaller disk) * (1)

Why ASUSTOR?

And finally, to tell you about some of the characteristics that are exclusive to our NAS. Our NAS is the first NAS in the world to feature System Sleep Mode S3 along with Instant Wake, and comes with a variety of power saving options including disk hibernation, power saving schedules, smart fan, and the ability to turn off or dim LED indicator lights. The NAS is also very environmentally friendly and operates very quietly (there is basically no detectable fan noise). The ADM UI provides an intuitive and easy to pick up interface that features an App-based design. This means you can choose to install Apps for the type of functions you use, as opposed to having a bloated and cluttered system full of functions you never touch. All our Apps are available through our App Central repository. Our NAS also features an array of multimedia functions (including an HDMI port) that allow you to stream music and movies to all your favourite devices.

If there are any specific applications that you plan to use our NAS for, please feel free to let me know so I can better answer your question.

Thanks for your questions,

Allen

Return to “Presales”