AS7004T upgrades

Got a feature request? Great! Post your ideas here!
MikeG.6.5
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Re: AS7004T upgrades

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

Yeah, it's a whole new CPU series, so it would likely require at least a full bios update. If not a completely new board.

I guess my question stems from the fact that QNAP and Synology appear to be making more capable models. Asustor seems to be making less capable ones. Doesn't give a warm fuzzy, I'm afraid...
orion

Post by orion »

MikeG.6.5 wrote:Yeah, it's a whole new CPU series, so it would likely require at least a full bios update. If not a completely new board.

I guess my question stems from the fact that QNAP and Synology appear to be making more capable models. Asustor seems to be making less capable ones. Doesn't give a warm fuzzy, I'm afraid...
Agreed with the point about comparable models. "warm fuzzy" is a subtle word. ;) The new CPU horse power might be better slightly. I believe it's hard to sense the differences from user point of view. It depends on how many tasks on server. However, giving the fact, I'll choose the newer one if the price is the same or similar.

PS: i3-6100 is FCLGA1151 which is not pin-compatible to AS7. So it will need a new board.
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

Yep, already knew it.. But, the i3-4330 in the 7004T has a passmark score of 5000 or so. The i3-6100 has a passmark score of 5400, and the i5 is like in the 6700=7000passmark range. The i7 is like 9500. So these other CPU's can almost double the processing speed for the top ones, for the same heat generation.

Which is why I asked Asustor about their plans on CPUs and new models. If they go with the same CPU's the QNAP has, and call it the 710x series....

Then again, my 7004T is serial number in the 30's or something like that. And I bought it about 6 months after it came out. There might not be a lot of call for higher end CPU's in NASes. Unless people want a full blown transcoding platform for a HT machine that extra CPU power might seem like a waste. I think it would be a good way to get Asustor into some highend selling, if they bundled it up with Plex Media Server, Plex Media Player, full remote functionality in PMP for any of the programmable remotes, and the Asustor remote. Just think. Start a movie, the NAS is the player, it handles your 65" screen no problems, dims the lights, puts on the mood lighting strips on the back of the TV, and maybe even puts the house phone on mute... All with the touch of one button on the remote... :)

To put things in reference for anyone else wondering, the CPU in the 620x series has a passmark score in the 1800-2100 range from what I've seen so far. Some of that depends on the boards and IO etc. Time to go fly my drone around the house for a battery or two now. Merry Christmas all!
Shawn.S@AST

Post by Shawn.S@AST »

Hi Mike and Orion,

Thanks for the kind reminder and suggestion!

Intel has very frequent product shift in i3, i5, i7,Xeon processors, and we watch it closely to decide the suitable high end sku. Currently our product managers are considering to refresh AS7 series and also plan new next generation platform of Skylake such as Kaby Lake or Coffee Lake in year 2017. We will finalize it soon!
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

Let me know if you need a beta tester... :)

Return to “Feature Requests”