External SSD Cache

Got a feature request? Great! Post your ideas here!

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

Marhk
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

External SSD Cache

Post by Marhk »

With the number of ports on the 70 series machines (eSATA and USB3) one would think that this should be a straight forward software fix.
I'm told that other NAS manufacturers support this.
Very disappointed that this is not available.
BTW the documentation for this is quite poor.
So, for next update request:
External SSD Cache support and improved documentation for this and frankly the Surveillance app.
Faldorn

Re: External SSD Cache

Post by Faldorn »

+1

Running a 5304T, the lack of an m.2 slot is a bit annoying though having full support for external ssd would go a long ways to making up for it.
Thor76

Post by Thor76 »

I have the same NAS, and I'm a bit disappointed with the lack of using an external SSD for anything system related. I thought the ASUSTOR applications would run on internal memory/disk, but I can hear them running on the RAID continuously. I'd like to move some apps or data folders (such as Plex Metadata) to my external SSD, but there are no options for this, and I couldn't get symlinks to work for this either.
Ideally I'd like the option to move Apps to the external SSD and have a fallback to the RAID if something should happen. I'm surprised at how often the disks in the RAID are active when there are nothing (outside of the NAS itself) accessing the NAS.
henson0115

Post by henson0115 »

signed up to +1 this, how is this not already in the software. please add it..
henson0115

Post by henson0115 »

so i suggest we all send requests to asustor using there contact form here https://www.asustor.com/about/contact_f ... iry_type=3, did and received the following reply. the more of us that do it, the more chance it will get added.

"Hi *****,
Please allow me to update information if you’re looking for using external SSD cache with our NAS.
For now, Nimbuster 2 & 4 don’t support external SSD cache.
However, I’ll forward your feedback to our internal team for further study.
We appreciate your feedback and please feel free contact us if any further questions.
Sincerely,
Olivia"

Return to “Feature Requests”