Is it possible to backup from and to NAS?

CrashPlan - Endpoint Backup + Restore
Silently, continuously back up every version of every file, on laptops and desktops, at home and at work.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

Hikari
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Is it possible to backup from and to NAS?

Post by Hikari »

Hello. I've just bought my NAS and still haven't had time to install and try a backup app. I'm reading about them ATM.

I see that CrashPlan is an app capable of backing up our data to a local storage, a remote storage or their cloud storage. NAS would be the second option, therefore I could use it to backup my 2 PCs and laptop into my NAS.

And what if I use my NAS to store my data and access it from my PCs over SMB, am I able to use CrashPlan to backup this data too? Could I back it up into their could service? Could I have a second NAS to hold the backup?

If it's not capable of doing this 2 way backup, is there another app that can?

Edit: Let me rephrase it. I'm currently looking for a solution that:

1) Incrementally backup my data from my 2 PCs, my laptop and my phone into a (shared) folder in my NAS, for free. Laptop and phone may go offline, then when online again the backup tool will restart its work.
2) Incrementally backup my whole NAS data (its SMB shared files and my local backup) into a cloud storage, for a charge.
MikeG.6.5

Re: Is it possible to backup from and to NAS?

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

You can do step 1 with an app like ownCloud. You install ownCloud per the guide written in it's forum and then install the app on the devices involved. Not entirely about the phone, though...

As for step 2, there are options as well. It depends on if you want to host the data yourself on a second device or if you want it hosted on a service. As I don't personally like the services, I haven't explored them very extensively. I like having the control of MY data and not relying no a service to do the back ups and maybe delete, move, copy or in another way compromise the integrity of my data. Read the EULA these sites require you to sign. They can do whatever they want with it, and you are screwed if it's destroyed, copied or in other ways manipulated.

OwnCloud works just like DropBox, or a dozen other apps. You create a folder to sync files from on your PC and copy your data to this folder. It then syncs up to the ownCloud server under the user ID setup for the account. You can keep each machine as the same user ID, or make each separate. After the data gets moved to the server, you can select if the folders are synced back down from the server to the machine or if it sits on the server only. Even if you don't re-down load it to each machine, the data is on your NAS. You can get to it pretty easily whenever you want it.

There are other ways to do this, but this is the way I've got my 2 laptops and desktop and Android tablet set up. OwnCloud works well for what I want to do....
Hikari

Re: Is it possible to backup from and to NAS?

Post by Hikari »

Interesting, thanks for the tip.

I don't think that WebDAV is the best solution for me, I don't like how it works.

WebDAV also isn't a protocol for backup, it's for sharing files among PCs. For files I want easy sharing, I'm already storing on NAS and sharing with SMB.

Fort my first need I'm looking for a backup tool capable of sending backups over SMB. It's not just simple saving files, I also want the tool to backup Windows Registry, user profile and program data, all together in a package for each of my apps. An app capable of doing that will also be able to copy simple folders.

Then comes the second need. Once I have all my data stored and backed up on my NAS, I wanna keep backup of it all in a remote server. CrashPlan seems promising because they claim to not have space limit. But it seems that the app we can install from Asustor App Central is a server to receive backups, not a client to send them. I'd need to install CrashPlan's client for linux.

Return to “CrashPlan”